Worrying about Christmas healthy recipes for the day? If you are health conscious and do not like to put on extra pounds after the vacation, then go through our pick of 3 easy and delicious Christmas healthy recipes for you try. A first serve, a soup and a salad:
Roasted Chicken & Gravy
- minced large clove garlic, minced, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, giblets removed,1 teaspoon peanut or canola oil, 2 teaspoons butter, softened, divided, 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish.
- First heat oven up to 400°F.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste in a small bowl, you can use back of a spoon or anything. Then stir in pepper and thyme.
- Using a sharp knife, remove unnecessary fat from chicken. Dry out the inside with a paper towel. Then loosen the skin over the breasts and thighs to make pockets, being careful not to tear down the skin. Rub the garlic paste over the breast and thigh of the chicken.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter and oil in medium heat. Add the chicken and cook till the chicken evenly browned on all sides, for at least 10 minutes.
- Then put the pan onto the oven and roast the chicken until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°F, it will take 50 minutes to 1 hour fir a nicely done roast. Bring out the chicken and put it on clean board for cutting; tent with foil.
- Then, mash the remaining 1 teaspoon butter and flour in a small pan to make a paste. Place the pan and heat it medium-high. Take precaution, the pan will be hot. Then add broth and bring it to simmer, stir to scrape up any browned bits. Then whisk in the butter-flour paste a few bits at a time, so that the gravy thickens, for about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes, so that any fat can rise to the top. Spoon away off the fat. Cut down the chicken and serve with the gravy. Go for garnish with parsley.